|Southeast Perspective - During the 1890s|
|View of Notre Dame de Paris from the Southeast, during the 1890s.|
This church, the first ever built in Paris, was begun about the year 375, under the reign of the emperor Valentinian I. It was then called St. Etienne or St. Stephen's, and there was as yet no other within the walls of this city in 1522, when Childebert, son of Clovis, repaired and enlarged it, adding to it a new basilic, which was dedicated to Notre Dame or Our Lady.
More anciently, under Tiberius, there had been, on the same spot, an altar in the open air, dedicated to Jupiter and other pagan gods, part of which is still in being at the MUSEUM OF FRENCH MONUMENTS, in the Rue des Petits Augustins.
These two churches existed till about the year 1160, under the reign of Lewis the Young, when the construction of the present cathedral was begun partly on their foundations. It was not finished till 1185, during the reign of Philip Augustus.
This Gothic Church is one of the handsomest and most spacious in France. It has a majestic and venerable appearance, and is supported by one hundred and twenty clustered columns. Its length is three hundred and ninety feet by one hundred and forty-four in breadth, and one hundred and two in height.
Francis W. Blagdon, Paris As It Was and As It Is, 1803
|Photographic Features of Notre Dame de Paris|
|Images Will Open in a Separate Window|
of Paris from atop Notre Dame -
Vista of Notre Dame from the Southwest - 50k
View of Notre Dame from Southeast - 95k
Vista of Notre Dame from the Seine - 50k
of the North rose window -
View of the West facade, 1890s - 50k
Vista from the Southeast, 1890s - 40k
View of the Barricades, 1870s - 48k
|Return to Earthlore's Historic Overview of Notre Dame de Paris|
Your questions and comments are always welcome!
Learn more about the Earthlore story, upcoming web features and future cultural projects. Ask to receive your